Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care has developed a highly specialized program for all patients at Seasons. Namaste Care was designed by Joyce Simard, MSW,* an internationally recognized dementia expert. Namaste Care uses person-centered approaches to improve quality of life through meaningful sensory activities that stimulate the senses, promote relaxation, and offer comfort and serenity. Although specifically designed for people with advanced dementia, the sensory approaches used in Namaste Care enhance the lives of infants, children and people with other diseases, as well as providing moments of peace and tranquility to family caregivers.
Namaste Care approaches are provided by all members of the hospice interdisciplinary staff and volunteers. Our certified nurse assistants provide bathing, dressing, grooming and hydration as meaningful activities rather than task completion. Other disciplines and volunteers are involved with providing gentle hand massages, spiritual reading, music and reminiscence. Seasons Hospice promises that with Namaste Care, each person’s individuality is respected, approach to care is offered to maximize pleasure and comfort, and all care by all staff and volunteers is offered with a loving touch.
Benefits of Namaste Care:
- Designs person-centered care approaches as meaningful activities to individualize care based on the Lifestyle Assessment
- Uses sensory stimulation that helps soothe and evoke feelings of comfort
- Creates a calm, relaxing environment for the provision of care
- Teaches loved ones ways to interact with the person with advanced dementia
- Adds a layer of professional caregivers to the existing team
Goals of Namaste Care:
- Enhances the quality of life for people with advanced dementia
- Diminishes feelings of stress and anxiety
- Eases suffering
- Supports family by providing coping skills
- Promotes feelings of personal meaningfulness
Who is Eligible?
People living with:
- Advanced dementia
- Advanced Parkinson’s Disease
- Any disease causing cognitive impairments
What are the costs?
- The hospice Medicare and Medicaid benefits are inclusive, and there are no additional charges billed to patients and families.
- Coverage under a managed care contract is negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
*Based on her book, “The End-of-Life Namaste Care Program for People With Dementia,” Seasons staff and volunteers have received education and training from Ms. Simard so that they are able to implement Namaste Care to their patients who would benefit from this unique program.